IDEA San Antonio Team & Family,
It is with a heavy heart that I share the passing of Lowry Mays, a San Antonio philanthropist, businessman, and tremendous supporter of IDEA in San Antonio.
In 1994, Mr. Mays and his wife founded the Mays Family Foundation with the mission to support “causes that aid, empower, enrich and educate” the communities in which we live. The foundation offered generous support to what would become the Mays Cancer Center at U.T. Health San Antonio, the Mays Business School at Texas A&M University (his alma mater), and IDEA San Antonio, which includes the IDEA Mays campus named in his honor.
Mr. Mays’ warmth, work ethic, and generosity of spirit inspired many. His commitment to supporting our community through education directly resulted in:
- The dedication of IDEA Mays in 2016 in West San Antonio
- IDEA Mays being designated an A-rated campus by the Texas Education Agency
- Achieving IDEA’s 20-21 Academy Campus of the Year
- Ranking highest among IDEA Academy schools in San Antonio with a score of 96 on the TEA’s Accountability Ratings
- 90% of Students in Kinder, 1st, and 2nd Grade performing at or above grade level
- 100% of scholars in IDEA Mays’ RISE Program passing end of year assessments
- IDEA Mays College Preparatory meeting 100% of all TEA distinctions
- IDEA Mays College Preparatory ranking as the #1 Niche Standout Middle School in San Antonio
- Ranking as the #37 Niche Best Middle school in Texas
- Our inaugural graduating Class of 2023 is already 90% TSI Exempt—meaning they are already fully prepared to succeed in college
On behalf of IDEA San Antonio and our students and families, I want to thank Mr. Mays for his service and generosity. I extend my heartfelt sympathy to his wife, Peggy, his children, Kathy, Mark, Linda, and Randall, his sixteen grandchildren, and the many others who knew and admired him.
IDEA San Antonio