As we prepare for the Thanksgiving Break and remember all the many things we have to be grateful for, we are most thankful for our Team & Family. From our students who show up every day ready to learn to our dedicated teachers who make learning magical, we say, “We are thankful for you!”
Whether you plan to stay home or are traveling to visit family and friends, we hope you have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving Break. Below are a few general safety tips for the holiday:
Cooking safety tips
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove top so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot, and kids should stay three feet away.
- Make sure children stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
These tips and more can be found at the National Fire Protection Association.
General health safety tips
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Get your flu shot and COVID-19 booster.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get rest! Getting enough sleep helps keep your immune system up and better prepared to fight off germs.
Get tested if you are experiencing symptoms of flu or COVID-19 or if you have been in contact with someone who has.