Teach at IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA you’ll have the support and resources to do your best work.Apply Now
Who We’re Looking For
IDEA teachers represent a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We look for and hire the best candidates for our students. Here are some of the most important criteria we look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution; State certification preferred but not required
- Experience in a classroom setting, preferably experience working with low-income students; preferred but not required
- Proven track record of success in a professional setting
- Unwavering belief that a college education is possible for all children, and a commitment to developing a school-wide culture that fosters a productive, enthusiastic learning environment
- Openness to observation and critical feedback with a desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a teacher
- Excitement about working for a school system that is changing the status quo of education in the United States
Fill out our online application thoroughly for your best chance of selection.
Phone/Video Interview *
Our process is differentiated based on the position for which you’ve applied as well as your background and experiences.
An in-person interview will be scheduled. Sample lessons, Q&A, and possible school tour will be included.
A successful in-person interview results in an offer letter.
If you accept the offer, pending a background check and the co-sign of the HR department, you’re hired!
* Additional Content Assessment (select positions only): For some positions requiring highly specialized content knowledge, candidates may be asked to complete a content assessment. This may occur prior to the final interview, or as a part of the final interview.
At IDEA, we want you to grow professionally.
Teacher Career Pathway
Excellent teachers are the key to realizing our promise to students. The Teacher Career Pathway was created to make IDEA a place where teachers feel valued for their invaluable role in our movement to send all students to and through college. As teachers are promoted up the pathway, they receive increased professional development, influence, recognition, and compensation.
Go to our benefits page to see what we offer to our IDEA teachers.
Paul Williams is an AP United States History teacher at IDEA College Preparatory Weslaco. We sat down to chat about his experience as an IDEA educator. Read More about Paul
IDEA College Prep Weslaco
Kaila Velez is a kindergarten teacher at IDEA Rundberg Academy and an Austin, Texas native. We sat down to chat about her time at IDEA Public Schools and why it is important to teach in the same neighborhood where she grew up. Read More about Kaila
IDEA Rundberg Academy
Can I apply to work at a specific campus?
We do our best to accommodate campus preferences, but cannot guarantee placement at a specific campus.
Do I need to already be certified in Texas and Louisiana to teach at IDEA?
No, unless you’re applying to teach special education. However, certification can strengthen your application.
Do years of experience at other districts count towards steps at IDEA?
Yes, of course. Salaries increase with every full year of lead teaching experience an individual has.
Can my kids come to IDEA?
Absolutely! IDEA encourages all of its staff to enroll their children at IDEA. You will get automatic placement at an IDEA school and your child will not have to be selected in the blind lottery.
Do teachers contribute to retirement accounts?
Yes! In Texas, all full-time staff are automatically enrolled in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and currently contribute 7.7% of wages. In Louisiana, we offer a 403(b) that staff members may contribute to.