We had another amazing year at IDEA Public Schools. We are so proud of these accomplishments, and we know none of it would be possible without the hard work, dedication, and commitment of our Team & Family.
Here are some of our favorite moments and accomplishments of 2018. Take a look at just some of the feats we’ve accomplished together. We can’t wait to see what 2019 holds!
- For the first time ever, IDEA Public Schools celebrated its first day of school in two states! We welcomed nearly 45,000 students across regions in both Texas and Louisiana.
- IDEA Public Schools announced our expansion to the Greater Houston Area.
- IDEA Public Schools held its first District Spelling Bee in the Rio Grande Valley at our Headquarters in Weslaco, TX.
- Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU), with generous support from The Shapiro Foundation and TheDream.US, announced a new initiative to educate 1,000 DACA students over the next five years, which will benefit students attending IDEA-U.
- IDEA Public Schools received their first Leafy Green Machine at IDEA Eastside.
- David Robinson was honored with the ESPN’s Stuart Scott ENSPIRE Award at the 2018 ESPYs for his philanthropic efforts including his work with IDEA Public Schools.
- Nine IDEA schools made the Alliance for a Healthier Generations list of “America’s Healthiest Schools.” The following IDEA schools were awarded: IDEA Brackenridge Academy and College Prep, IDEA Mays Academy and College Prep, IDEA Carver Academy, IDEA Judson Academy, IDEA San Juan Academy, IDEA Judson College Prep and IDEA Rundberg College Prep.
- We celebrated 849 seniors and their acceptances to universities across the country at our largest College Signing Day yet.
- Our leaders, Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama, were inducted into the Charter School Hall of Fame.
- Our CNP and transportation staff in the Rio Grande Valley prepared and delivered thousands of meals for delivery in IDEA Rescue Buses to displaced families during this summer’s floods as aftermath of the Caribbean Sea tropical storm aftermath.
- IDEA received $1.5 Million grant to fund 21st Century Community Learning Centers. This grant will be used to provide after-school programming for more than 2,000 students across 20 schools in the Rio Grande Valley.
- We broke ground on eight new campuses: IDEA Rise, IDEA Achieve, IDEA Health Professions, IDEA Parmer Park, IDEA Mesa Hills, IDEA Los Encinos, IDEA Burke and IDEA Robindale.
- 29 IDEA schools earned an A on the Texas Education Agency’s A-F Accountability Ratings, and 16 IDEA schools earned 100% of eligible distinctions.
- 10 seniors from IDEA Carver were chosen to be a part of the David Robinson Fellowship program.
- IDEA Mission Academy received the National Blue-Ribbon Award. They were one of 24 schools from Texas and the only IDEA school to be recognized in 2018.
- We opened 9 new campuses: IDEA Ingram Hills, IDEA Innovation, IDEA Bridge, IDEA Elsa, IDEA Kyle, IDEA Pflugerville, IDEA Edgemere, IDEA Rio Vista and IDEA Owassa.
- IDEA Public Schools announced plans to open schools in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- For the 12th consecutive year, nearly 100% of students from the class of 2018 matriculated to college.
We’ve achieved these impressive results together. We can’t wait to see what 2019 holds! Our commitment to closing the achievement gap and sending kids to college is as strong as ever. Learn more about IDEA Public Schools on our website and join our Team & Family for the 2019-2020 school year.