IMPORTANT NOTE TO PARENTS: Please visit our Health & Safety Information page as new dates and times will be added as they become available.
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, previously approved for children 12+, has now been approved for use by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for children ages 5+. At IDEA, we want to continue to provide essential information and resources that help keep our Team & Family safe. Vaccines are a safe and effective way to reduce the risk of serious illness. Getting vaccinated is an important step that will help keep everyone safe and healthy.
Vaccination is an important tool to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommends that everyone 5 years and older get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against infection and transmission of the coronavirus.
In response to this news, IDEA will host vaccination clinics with our trusted community partners in our regions for all IDEA students ages 5+ to help increase vaccination access. Your campus will be sharing the dates and locations for your region’s first vaccination clinics in the coming weeks. Please check your campus social media pages, Remind messages and the health and safety website for updates or contact your campus directly for details.
Why is COVID-19 vaccination an important tool to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Can help protect your child from getting COVID-19.
- May prevent people from spreading COVID-19 to others.
- Help keep your child from getting seriously sick even if they do get COVID-19.
- Allows you to resume regular activities after you have been fully vaccinated without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
- Allows students continued safe learning in school buildings and participation in extracurricular activities.
IDEA Public Schools understands that decisions regarding your child’s health are personal, and we want to ensure IDEA families have access to the information and resources they need to make informed decisions. With this in mind, IDEA is not requiring COVID-19 vaccination for students. However, we know that vaccines are a critical step to keeping our Team & Family safe and healthy.
We will continue to connect our community with vaccination information and resources. If you have additional questions about the COVID-19 vaccine for children and teens, contact your healthcare provider or visit the CDC website.