It’s National Taco Day! As a recent National Healthy Schools Award winner, and part of IDEA’s Healthy Kids Here initiative, we have created a nutritious taco recipe from our latest Healthy Kids Here Cookbook! Bon appétit!
Taco-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
1 pound ground lean turkey
8 ounces low sodium refried beans
1 cup canned, no salt added yellow corn, drained
1 medium onion, finely dices
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
4 medium sweet potatoes
¼ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Scrub outside of potatoes until clean. Prick each potato with fork a few times to allow steam to escape during cooking.
3. Place sweet potatoes on microwave-safe plate and microwave 2 at a time for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Brown onion and ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and return to skillet. Add taco seasoning, corn, and refried beans to meat mixture, stir to combine.
5. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer inside. Set aside and use it for separate meal, if desired.
6. Spray potato skins with cooking spray, place on baking sheet, bake for 5-7 minutes or until outsides are slightly crispy.
7. Remove potato skins from oven and stuff with meat mixture. Top with salsa and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
8. Broil in oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
9. Garnish with green onion. Enjoy!
As required by Title IX, IDEA Public Schools does not (and is required not to) discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs or activities. This non-discrimination requirement applies to admission to and employment with IDEA Public Schools. Inquiries into issues related to Title IX may be referred to IDEA’s Title IX Coordinator(s) (identified below), to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights of the Department of Education, or both.
IDEA’s Title IX Coordinator is:
Martin Winchester, Chief Human Assets Officer, 2115 W. Pike Blvd., Weslaco, Texas 78596, (956) 377-8000, firstname.lastname@example.org.
IDEA Public Schools National Board Members: Al Lopez – Chair, Collin Sewell – Vice Chair, Ed Rivera – Treasurer, Ryan Vaughan – Secretary, Michael Burke, Reba Cardenas McNair, David Earl, David Handley, Erich Holmsten, Saam Zarrabi, Xenia Garza.
Hi! Click on the link below to access this month’s parent menu. Also, please consider completing a brief survey regarding our menu. Feedback on our menu can be submitted using the link to the right. Thank you!
¡Hola! Haga clic en el enlace para acceder al menú para padres de este mes. Por favor considere completar una encuesta breve sobre nuestro menú. Sus comentarios e impresiones sobre nuestro menú se pueden enviar mediante el enlace a derecha. Gracias!