Today, March 3, marks IDEA Public Schools’ 19th birthday! To help us celebrate in a big way, check out our birthday Facebook page to donate to our birthday scholarship campaign.
In 1998, Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama made their way to the Rio Grande Valley as Teach For America corps members. Little did they know, this would be the first step towards starting a Pre-K-12, high-achieving public charter school network for nearly 45,000 students across 79 schools in five regions in two states, all on the road to a college.
Since the launch of IDEA Public schools in 2000:
- We’ve announced rigorous plans to serve 100,000 students in 173 schools across ten regions!
- In 2018, we opened the opened the doors to four schools in Louisiana—the first IDEA campuses outside of Texas.
- Our scholars have achieved stellar results year-after-year, thanks to excellent educators, leaders, and top-notch academic programs like Advanced Placement For All and Blended Learning.
- We started Healthy Kids Here, a program dedicated to bettering the lives of our students and staff through a state-of-the-art physical fitness Since then, nine IDEA schools made the Alliance for a Healthier Generations list of “America’s Healthiest Schools.” The following IDEA schools were awarded: IDEA Brackenridge Academy and College Prep, IDEA Mays Academy and College Prep, IDEA Carver Academy, IDEA Judson Academy, IDEA San Juan Academy, IDEA Judson College Prep, and IDEA Rundberg College Prep.
- All of our graduating seniors have achieved college acceptance for thirteen consecutive years.
- Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama, were inducted into the Charter School Hall of Fame.
As we continue to grow, serving more students in need of a great education, we know none of our success would be possible without our phenomenal Team & Family. Since March 3, 2000, we have grown together, united by our goal to impact children’s lives through education and prepare all scholars for college and a better life.
Join us in celebrating our 19th birthday by helping us grow our network of schools and provide scholarships to first-generation graduates, by giving a one-time donation of either $1.90, $19.00, $190, or $1,900! Your contribution is tax deductible and following receipt, you will receive a letter for tax purposes.
Click here to donate. Thank you for supporting the scholars of IDEA Public Schools!