Vaccines are a safe and effective way to reduce the risk of serious illness. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyone 12 years and older get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against infection and transmission of the coronavirus. The Pfizer vaccine was recently approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and CDC for Emergency Use Authorization in children 12 and older.
COVID-19 vaccination is an important tool to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Can help protect your child from getting COVID-19.
- May help keep people from spreading COVID-19 to others.
- Help keep your child from getting seriously sick even if they do get COVID-19.
- Allows you to resume regular activities after you have been fully vaccinated without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
If you have additional questions about the COVID-19 vaccine for children and teens, contact your healthcare provider or visit the CDC website. You can also learn more at our virtual COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall on Thursday, July 1. Join us live on our national Facebook page at 6 p.m. CST in English or 6:30 p.m. CST in Spanish for a discussion led by our district nurse practitioner on the basics of the COVID-19 vaccine and current vaccine resources for children ages 12+.
COVID-19 Vaccine Timeline
Below are the deadlines for your child to receive their first and second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in order to be fully vaccinated for their first day of school. Note: These deadlines are to help you keep track of how to get your child fully protected before the first day of school. If you’re not able to meet the first-dose deadline, no worries! Take your child as soon as possible to start the process. This is only a strong recommendation and not a requirement.
IDEA El Paso & IDEA Permian Basin – Travis (Midland)
First Day of School: Monday, August 2
- First Dose Deadline – Sunday, June 27
- Second Dose Deadline – Monday, July 19
- Fully Vaccinated – Monday, August 2
IDEA Baton Rouge, IDEA New Orleans & IDEA Permian Basin- Yukon (Odessa)
First Day of School: Wednesday, August 4
- First Dose Deadline – Tuesday, June 29
- Second Dose Deadline – Wednesday, July 21
- Fully Vaccinated – Wednesday, August 4
IDEA Austin, IDEA Greater Houston, IDEA Rio Grande Valley & IDEA Tarrant County
First Day of School: Monday, August 9
- First Dose Deadline – Sunday, July 4
- Second Dose Deadline – Monday, July 26
- Fully Vaccinated – Monday, August 9
IDEA San Antonio & IDEA Tampa Bay
First Day of School: Tuesday, August 10
- First Dose Deadline – Monday, July 5
- Second Dose – Tuesday, July 27
- Fully Vaccinated – Tuesday, August 10